Mr. Ruiz was born in Ypsilanti, Michigan in 1983. While attending law school, he served as associate editor of the Thomas M. Cooley Law Review and as Law Review Teaching Assistant for the advanced research and writing course. Mr. Ruiz also received certificates of merit in both the scholarly writing and international law courses. He served as judicial extern to the Honorable J. Cedric Simpson at the Washtenaw County District Court.
While obtaining his LL.M. in international trade and business law from the University of Arizona’s James E. Rogers College of Law, Mr. Ruiz served as judicial extern to the Honorable Philip G. Espinosa at Division Two of the Arizona Court of Appeals and was honored with the Munger Prize as the top student in his LL.M. class.
Mr. Ruiz’s practice is focused on, but not limited to, commercial litigation and commercial transactions. Mr. Ruiz has successfully represented numerous businesses and individuals in all phases of commercial litigation, including product-liability, breach-of-contract, and breach-of-warranty disputes, and with respect to labor and employment matters, including wage claims, employment-discrimination claims, and unfair-labor-practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Additionally, Mr. Ruiz’s practice includes high-value estate and trust litigation, as well litigating Hague Petitions involving international child abduction.
Mr. Ruiz also maintains a robust transactional practice. Mr. Ruiz represents several national and regional business entities with large portfolios of leasehold interests, performing a wide range of commercial-lease transactional work for those clients. Mr. Ruiz also routinely advises clients with respect to the formation, purchase, and management of various forms of business entities.
Mr. Ruiz is a professor of practice at the University of Arizona’s James E. Rogers College of Law and teaches Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Representative Litigation Cases
- Represented corporate tech executive in California arbitration against former employer for breach of employment agreement and obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented California financial institution in commercial real-estate litigation and obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented commercial property owner in commercial real estate litigation against former tenant and assisted client in obtaining favorable settlement.
- Represented Australian subsidiary in commercial litigation against New Jersey parent corporation in contemporaneous suits filed in New Jersey and California federal courts and obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented Arizona business in finance-lease litigation initiated in Pennsylvania federal court and obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented large Arizona property developer in zoning matter initiated against local political subdivision.
- Successfully defended multinational trampoline-component manufacturer in product-liability action.
- Defended Arizona tortilla manufacturer in proceedings before National Labor Relations Board and obtained dismissal of claims on appeal.
- Represented Arizona law enforcement officer in appeal of officer’s termination and successfully appealed grant of motion to dismiss before the Arizona Court of Appeals.
- Represented Arizona law enforcement officer in appeal of officer’s suspension and demotion in rank and obtained settlement and full reinstatement to former position.
- Represented Mexican mother and daughter in international child-abduction matter in Arizona federal court.
- Represented Australian father in international child-abduction matter and obtained settlement resolving all claims in the father’s favor.
- Successfully defended and obtained arbitration awards for Arizona assistive device manufacturer.
- Advised and assisted Mexican financial institution in formation and conduct of factoring business in Arizona and prepared corporate and transactional documents.
- Prepared and maintained federal trademark portfolio for Arizona limited liability company.
- Advised Mexican investor regarding investment in Arizona hospital development.
- State Bar of Arizona
- State Bar of California.
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- B.A. in Classical Archaeology (University of Michigan, 2005)
- Juris Doctor Cum Laude (Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2010)
- LLM International Trade and Business Law (University of Arizona, 2011)
- Rash v. Town of Mammoth, 315 P.3d 1234, 1238 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2013)
Honors and Awards
- 2015 – 2022 Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Fluent in spoken and written Spanish.